Author Topic: Window 8  (Read 15316 times)

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
Window 8
« on: October 28, 2012, 06:29:09 PM »
Windows 8 is now out there

I have just installed Windows 8 Pro running in 64bit configuration and I must say it is pretty damn good the time taken to install the software is fast but the best it yet to come.
The boot up time is next to instantaneous as I hardly see the windows 8 logo (which is good because its crap)
then it takes on the look of my mobile phone which is running the android operating system.
At first I didn't like this look but I must admit it grows on you as did the next screen that again look like the apps screen on my mobile phone.
But as you use this operating system you find more exciting things you can play around with and change to suit the way you want the operating system to look or run.
You can choose to use the desktop and place items on the taskbar as with the older versions and I am still using the same programs that I use on my Windows 7 Machine so compatibility seems not to be a problem.
Ok you say but what about drivers do they all work with Windows 8 well no is the simple answer there are updated drivers for Window 8 out there for sure and as I used the upgrade assistant to download Window 8 it told me what needed to be done and also where to find the drivers needed.

Ok I am running a i5 processor with 8Gb of ram and with Windows 8 running the system is super fast.
Also the graphics are truly improved and crystal clear and I can say its well worth the effort of buying and installing it I also used the beta copy of Windows 8 but the full version is totally different I will be using the operating system from now on ok before the will it questions start I have not installed any version of Silent Hunter to Try. So I cant yet say if all will work with it or not but I cant see why not.

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
Re: Window 8
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 07:30:38 PM »
Silent Hunter III without Starforce works fine with Windows 8  thup1
Silent Hunter V also no problem  thup1
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:17:09 PM by SeaWolf U-57 »

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Ok after all said and done the truth is if you ignore all the flashy looking items and just select the desk top option as soon as the system boots up the it looks, acts and runs like a fast version of Window 7

Ok I'm sorry but I cant understand what all the fuss about the start menu is. After all what function is shown on the start menu that is not in use on ether the start screen or moving the curser to ether the top or bottom or the right hand side of the screen. Its all right there for instance the programs you install are shown on the START SCREEN and any program you want access to on the DESK TOP screen you just right click it and "pin" it to the task bar. although saying that most programs you install place a icon on the DESK TOP anyway. So its only things like media player or Firefox that I move there and the items like control panel, power on/off and also change pc settings handles the things like Windows update, system performance and devices are all found in the right side panel.
So really Widows 8 has all the same features as the old systems just placed differently and to be honest the more I use Windows 8 the more I like it. And not forgetting how fast this operating System works it has to be twice as fast as Windows 7 and that's saying a lot and the programs run super smooth.
Oh and yes it Runs Silent Hunter III (star force free copy I have) and also Silent Hunter V with no problems.

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Wie ist es eigentlich so unter'm Wasser? Dunkel
    • Silent Hunter Mods Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 09:06:23 PM »

Well, that's almost all we wanna know. Do you have SH4 too? Well, I presume it will work too, when both SH3 and SH5 work...

Taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle français, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo español
Before you write me a pm, ask yourself, if it ain't better to write it in the forum. It usually is.

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 09:46:01 PM »

Well, that's almost all we wanna know. Do you have SH4 too? Well, I presume it will work too, when both SH3 and SH5 work...

For you I will try it soon

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Wie ist es eigentlich so unter'm Wasser? Dunkel
    • Silent Hunter Mods Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 09:52:42 PM »

For you I will try it soon

No need to rush it for my sake. I won't be updating any of my pc's anytime soon. But maybe some other members might be interested.
But take your time doing what you have to do first. It's not urgent.

Taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle français, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo español
Before you write me a pm, ask yourself, if it ain't better to write it in the forum. It usually is.

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 10:11:35 PM »
too late already installed and running just fine updated to Version 1.5 the uboat missions pack and it looks good  thup1

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 12:44:36 PM »
Internet Explorer is fast and its seems MSN has redone there home page for it ....

And yes I am using it on the desktop view you have more control over it there
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 12:46:34 PM by SeaWolf U-57 »

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 11:41:17 AM »
Some screen shots of Windows 8 ok then turn on your computer click the fancy lock screen which takes you to the password screen then up comes this screen.

Simply click the active desktop button will take you to this ..

And that is the screen I use you can toggle if you want to but I don't 

Reading a report posted by someone on subsim they say it is hard starting a program from the desktop ?? how hard is it to click a icon

Ah yes that start menu that's written in stone well no Windows 8 is how you want it ..

so do I need the icons on the desk top well no but I like them there
 I left the power option in large version by mistake
 Also you can access the start menu at any time by moving the Cursor down to the bottom left hand side of the Screen to toggle between them
 Wow yes before anyone says it you can also place the view folders icon here as well
Just thinking I wonder if old Tom or Don who did the bench mark testing remembered to disable the default active apps on the start screen before running the test or else I see a unfair advantage looming its head.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:47:22 AM by SeaWolf U-57 »

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 08:28:58 PM »
Internet Explorer 10 has now been released for windows 7
so will it work the same as in window 8 and have the fancy
msn home page ..... well no it has not but it seems to work
faster than 9 ??   scrtg

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 04:35:06 PM »
Windows 8.1 Pro ( Blue )
Evaluation Copy Build 9431

Read-me for anyone thinking of Up-Grading to Windows 8.1 or Blue as it maybe called

Ok I have just finished downloading windows blue evaluation copy build 9431 so lets install it
The same old same as on start up you know terms of use, key code and of it goes. first thing different is the blue glass logo is gone and has been replaced with a very colourful fish with bubbles coming from its mouth. ok you think to yourself maybe its trying to catch that round twirling loading thingy at the bottom of the screen.
But there is no time to contemplate that for very long as restart brings you back to the real world (at this time I suggest you remove the disk image from the drive as sometimes it will attempt to restart the install)
And after that it writes system files and installs devices and then starts with your user details and then starts Windows 8.  thup1

Ok side notes ..... total time to install approx 10 to 15 mins. (I was too busy watching that dam fish) total space taken from Hard Drive 30Gb approx 15Gb less then Windows 7 for some reason I think its something to do with not installing dead weight. (but if there is something you need to run an older program it will ask if you wish to install it)  kaffee

Ok lets get back to it then .... after preparing apps it start on the apps screen GGRrrrr I don't like this bit so there I am clicking on all the live tiles turning them off. and then I press the desktop tile which takes me to well the Desktop.
And there it is the start button the power to control the universe ... Ok Windows 8 at least.
So if I left click the start button I go back to the apps screen But if I right click it the old style start with a different look pops up . And now the bit I have been waiting to try out .... right click the task bar at the bottom of the screen select properties and then the Navigation Tab and then select "Go to the Desktop instead of start when I sign in"
and also show desktop on start just for fun and then restarted.
And yes it works although I can still select apps screen/start from the start button with a left click if I want to go to it to move any short cut to the task bar.  j12

24hours into using this Evaluation copy and I must say all works great. all my programs I used in Windows 7 are working fine.
With a little help from a program called 8gadgetpack all my old Gadgets are on my Desktop and working.
For me using Window 8.1 is the way to go the reaction time to any action is super fast
in the past I have used 95, XP, Vista, 7 and now Windows 8.1 and on my new build this is the fastest and maybe the best.  scrtg

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 03:39:09 PM »
I have just received a patch from Gigabyte for their Graphics driver 320.49
Which they say will stop instability when using Window 8,
Just go's to show that you can blame Windows 8 for most things until the real
Reason is discovered.
At this time its fair to say with the release of Windows Blue (test version) or 8.1
if you like most of the old Bitching is now laid to rest.

So to sum up you can have Window 8 running to look like Windows 7 with very little
effort if that is what you like.
Windows 8.1 installs much faster than 7 boots faster shuts down faster runs faster performs tasks faster runs games smoother.
(and as some silly boy post said what are you going to do with all those extra seconds)
well I am not talking seconds in the case of installing both the operating system and updates we are talking hours.
And as for starting games and running faster we are talking how well Windows 8
handles running programs so less chance of crashing or stuttering.

Oh yes and this is based on running the different systems right in front of me and
not something I have read somewhere

a small tip for anyone wanting to install 8 after install wait for a while as 8 will
attempt to install all updated necessary drivers don't start placing a disc in the drive straight away

Offline Viper

• Matrosengefreiter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 07:59:18 AM »
Disable Metro and Win8 is a lot more tolerable.  Win8.1 brings your start button back, you have to tweek it a bit to get your menu back.  Win7 is still better though.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »
Yes I felt that way too until Windows 8.1 with all the new features in it and the more I use it the more I like it readsm

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 08:47:21 PM »
Windows Operating Systems Battle

Windows 95 Vs Windows XP ….. the winner is …... Windows XP

Windows XP Vs Windows 2000 ….. the winner is …... Windows XP

Windows XP Vs Windows Vista ….. the winner is …... Windows XP

Windows XP Vs Windows 7 ….. the winner is …... A Draw

Windows XP and 7 Vs Windows 8….. the winner is …... Windows XP and 7