Author Topic: [REL] Real Subs 1.3  (Read 11155 times)

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
[REL] Real Subs 1.3
« on: July 12, 2011, 10:21:56 PM »
   In the readme for my Sub Class Info mod I noted that the info was historical, but may not match what's in the game. It occurred to me to fix the subs so they would have the correct info, and perhaps be a little more realistic in their operation. Sort of like the Real Fleet Boat mod, but without all the other changes that mod makes.

This update fixes the incorrect aiming of the guns resulting from my attempt to set the min/max elevation for the guns. Since I couldn't figure out how to correct the over/under shooting problem, I simply reset the elevation changes back to the stock values. Except in the Narwhal Mod version. It's guns work perfectly even with the changes, so I left them in it. So it's not a total loss on the guns, I left in the range, ROF, and muzzle velocity changes in all the guns too.

This mod, whenever necessary, adjusts the displacement, dimensions, draft, maximum speed, surface range, underwater endurance, and test depth for each submarine class in the stock game, the Tench and pseudo-Narwhal subs added by the RFB, Run Silent, Run Deep the Campaign, and Trigger Maru-Overhauled mods, and for the Subsim.com Narwhal mod. The Tench and pseudo-Narwhal sub files are from TMO 2.2, and are used with the kind permission of Ducimus. Also all subs, including the S class, have had their crash dive depth set to 160 feet, because the crash dive button tooltip gives that as the setting, and I didn't want to change it.

It also adds changes for the guns. Again whenever necessary, I've adjusted the range, rate of fire, and muzzle velocity to the historical levels as given by the NavWeaps site (http://www.navweaps.com/). The rate of fire is based on the highest rounds per minute given, and in nearly all instances will be slower than the stock game.

It also occurred to me that if I was going for realism, I should not have the Narwhal and S classes being able to do their "brand new" top speeds. So both the pseudo-Narwhal and Narwhal mod files have the surfaced and submerged speeds reduced to the actual service maximums. Further thinking on the S class led me to want to also make other parts of them like the nearly 20 year old boats they were. Instead of reinventing the wheel, I have instead incorporated, with his very very kind permission, Webster's S-Class Mod for v1.4 & v1.5 into this mod. This includes all files from his mod, so you will not need to install it separately. The only changes I made were to the displacement, draft, and the gravity center. All other settings are Webster's originals.

Install using JSGME. You will have three options to extract/install:

Real Subs - Use this version for the stock 1.5 game or with any combination of super mods.

Real Subs - Narwhal Mod - Install AFTER the Narwhal mod and the above.

Real Subs - S-42 - Install AFTER any other version. (See below.)

The S-42 is separate because it uses the S-18 .sim file instead of its own. Since you can never upgrade to an S class boat, the only time one can be used is playing a single mission or patrol, or starting a career. So if you know before starting one of those you're going to use an S-42, and want the info, enable that version before starting the game. To get the S-18 info back, disable it before playing.

While editing, I made another change, more out of personal preference rather than historical accuracy. All subs have had the maximum torpedo firing depth lowered slightly to 100 feet.

Included in this mod are new Sub Class Info images for the pseudo-Narwhal, Narwhal mod, and S classes which will now show the new lower speeds, and for the S classes alone, the shorter surfaced range. If you don't want these installed, before installing either delete or rename the "Menu" folder inside the "Data" folder of the version(s) you plan to use.

Special thanks to skwasjer for his Silent 3ditor program, to the developers of GIMP, and extra special thanks again to Ducimus and Webster for the use of their files.

download1
Real_Subs_1.3.rar

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:16:38 PM by fred8615 »
Frederick J. Barnett
"Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!! Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
Re: [REL] Real Subs 1.1
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 10:24:48 PM »
I've updated the mod. See the first post for details.
Frederick J. Barnett
"Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!! Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
Re: [REL] Real Subs 1.2
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 05:25:40 PM »
I've updated the mod. See the first post for details.
Frederick J. Barnett

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
Re: [REL] Real Subs 1.2
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »
Hold off on downloading! I thought I had the problem fixed, but it's not. banghead
Frederick J. Barnett

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
Re: [REL] Real Subs 1.3
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 11:18:54 PM »
New update available. See the first post for details.
Frederick J. Barnett