Author Topic: [REL] Office Links, Info Boxes, and 50 cal Mod V2.1  (Read 7157 times)

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
[REL] Office Links, Info Boxes, and 50 cal Mod V2.1
« on: August 19, 2009, 11:38:13 PM »
Office Links, Info Boxes, and 50 cal V2.1

This mod addresses a few issues with the game that while not integral to playing, can detract from the "immersion" aspect. And if for no other reason,  *I* find them annoying!

This version 2.1 update includes a version for the Subsim.com Narwhal mod with just the stock 1.5 game, and new, perhaps less confusing names for the other Narwhal add-ons. I've also added more info. For the torpedoes, I've added a "Guidance" line, and redid the notes a little for the Mark 10, 14, 18, and 23. For the guns I've renamed all them to their actual USN designations. For example, the " 4" 50 cal" gun is now the "Mark 9 4 Inch 50 Caliber" gun. The new name is also added to the info section, as well as adding the "Mount" type and the "Min/Max Elevation" for the gun (TMO had the elevation for one gun and I decided to add it to all of them). I also edited the notes for the AA guns, and the radars as well. Finally, there is some other text editing and formatting work done.

The fixes cover three areas. First are two links in the Captain's office. These are:

RESTORED SUB MODEL LINK - Originally the sub model on the Captain's desk would take you directly to the screen where you could upgrade the weapons and sensors on your sub while in base. But in one of the last UBI updates, they either accidentally or on purpose changed it to go to the Crew Management screen, which is already linked from the crew picture on the desk. Even worse is that the tooltip for the sub model still says "Subsystems." This fix restores the original link.

CLICKABLE CAPTAIN'S DESK PHOTO - This fix has the player rank display when the Captain's Desk Photo is clicked. This is one of the few commands that will work but hasn't already been assigned in the office. This has been a feature in Trigger Maru-Overhauled, but this allows you to have it without having to install all of TMO. This uses the same American player rank graphic as TMO, and is used with the kind permission of Ducimus. Note that only the SUB MODEL LINK fix only has been made to the TMO version since it already has the DESK PHOTO fix.

The second area is the Info Boxes that contain data on the weapons and sensors you use on your sub. In the stock game only the torpedoes have any info. And in their case, the range is given in meters. I have added more info to the torpedoes, changed the range to yards, and added short notes. All the other weapons and sensors which were completely blank have had info and notes added to them. This info will now show when you click on an item in base or on the sub.

The third is I have enabled the 50 caliber machine gun. This was done thanks to info provided by Subsim.com user peabody. You will have to place it on the sub to use it as the game still defaults to the 20 mm gun. I also upped the ammunition (AP only available) to 1000 rounds total. You should note that for some reason the A.I. will not fire the gun. It can only be fired manually.

Install using JSGME. If parts of this mod conflict with other mods, and you wish to use their version, simply delete the appropriate file from this mod before installing. You will have six options to extract/install:

Narwhal - Office Links, Info Boxes, and 50 cal - This includes info for the 6 inch guns on the Subsim.com Narwhal mod and corrects the caliber info of those guns to 53. Install AFTER the Narwhal mod and the below mod.

Office Links, Info Boxes, and 50 cal - Use this version for the stock 1.5 game.

RSRDC - Office Links, Info Boxes, and 50 cal - Use this version for the standalone RSRDC mod.

RSRDC - With Narwhal Mod Office Links, Info Boxes, and 50 cal - This includes info for the 6 inch guns on the Subsim.com Narwhal mod and corrects the caliber info of those guns to 53. Install AFTER the Narwhal mod and the above mod.

TMO - Office Link, Info Boxes, and 50 cal - Use this version for TMO, with or without the TMO version of RSRDC installed.

TMO - With Narwhal Mod Office Links, Info Boxes, and 50 cal - This includes info for the 6 inch guns on the Subsim.com Narwhal mod and corrects the caliber info of those guns to 53. Install AFTER the Narwhal mod and the above mod.

The RSRDC and TMO versions use the start and end times, renown cost, and additional equipment from these mods.

There are a few things to note. All info is historical, so it may not match  with what an item does in-game. For instance the SD radar in real life could only give the range to a target, but if you have Map Contacts enabled you will see the bearing and course as well. The “Entered Service” info for cannons is for the gun itself, not when it was adapted for submarine use. So even though the 5" 25 caliber gun entered service well before WWII, it still isn't available until 1944. I changed the name of the 20 mm from "Machine Gun" to just "Gun" because technically it is a cannon since its shells explode. I noted this in the notes for it. In some cases more than one gun mark or mount may have been used on submarines. In those cases I chose the earliest version.

I tried to keep the notes "contemporary" to the game time-frame, unlike for example TMO, which mentions the tonnage sunk by the Mark 14 and Mark 18 torpedoes during the war. That also means no mention of the dud problems either.

I decided not to do any Real Fleet Boat versions. With a few exceptions, their info is contemporary to the game time-frame, so there was no real reason to overwrite it or the notes. It also fixed the SUB MODEL LINK, and removed the ability to click the desk photo, so I decided not to try to add it back. That left just the 50 cal machine gun, which can be added in with peabody's standalone mod.

download1
Office_Links,_Info_Boxes,_and_50_cal_V2.1.rar
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:48:12 PM by fred8615 »
Frederick J. Barnett
"Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!! Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
Re: [REL] Office Links, Info Boxes, and 50 cal Mod 1.1
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 11:15:28 PM »
I've uploaded an updated version. See the first post in this thread for details.
Frederick J. Barnett
"Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!! Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
Re: [REL] Office Links, Info Boxes, and 50 cal Mod 1.1
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 03:01:55 PM »
I've noticed in the past that when I use the 50 caliber machine gun, the A.I. gun crew would never fire it when I tried having them do it instead of doing it myself. I've now determined it is something in the game, because when I switch to the 20 mm, the gun crew will fire it. I've added a note about this in the first post.

If anyone knows how I can fix this, if it can be fixed, let me know and I'll upload an updated version of the mod.

Frederick J. Barnett

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
Re: [REL] Office Links, Info Boxes, and 50 cal Mod V2
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 03:03:39 PM »
I've uploaded an updated version. See the first post in this thread for details.
Frederick J. Barnett

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
Re: [REL] Office Links, Info Boxes, and 50 cal Mod V2.1
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 08:49:14 PM »
Frederick J. Barnett