Author Topic: Anti-spam procedure  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Wie ist es eigentlich so unter'm Wasser? Dunkel
    • Silent Hunter Mods Forum
Anti-spam procedure
« on: March 27, 2010, 02:13:42 AM »
I have reduced the anti-spam procedure to be a matter, which a new members only sees while signing up.
I'm speaking of the capcatscha image plus the 4 security questions.

They were clearly made to prevent spambots, which tried a couple of times to infect this forum, but their attempts for the last year have been caught by the IP ban, so I'm trying to make it easier for regular normal SH fans to register and post here. I have been critized for having it here on numerous occasions, but it was/is for a good reason. But, as a test...
The procedure is still there for the registration, but I have removed it from the post procedure for members being Landratte (Landratte is the German expression for someone who has never been to see...). Actually, this post procedure for Landratte would only be for the first 5 posts, so it wasn't so hard in the first place IMHO, but I shall try and see if this will make newcomers feel more welcome. They are not the enemy.  disagr1 The spambots are.  stareys

Taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle français, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo español
Before you write me a pm, ask yourself, if it ain't better to write it in the forum. It usually is.

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
Re: Anti-spam procedure
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
I'm going to reintroduce the anti-spam procedure for the first posts.
As some of you can see, some smuck spammer by the user name wqqll has spammed the forum.
I have left his/her/its posts online in the forum, modified though, for you to see for yourself.
I'm not going to allow this bullshit, so for the rest of the summer, there'll be an anti-spam procedure for new members posting their first posts.
I dislike cleaning up the forum, so for the legitimate members I feel sorry, but it's there for a good reason.
I'll rethink it in the autumn.

Taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle français, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo español
Before you write me a pm, ask yourself, if it ain't better to write it in the forum. It usually is.

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
Re: Anti-spam procedure
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 08:35:02 PM »
I have been rethinking the anti-spam procedure, and I'm sorry to say it, but you'll have to live with it.
For the past three months, I have been forced to  ban-sm several new accounts. All they registered for was to advertise for lots of bullshit websites, putting suspicious spam links in their signatures. This is unacceptable, and it has nothing to do with the Silent Hunter games or with any other games.
So the anti-spam procedure slows those spammers enough down to intercept them before they do too much damage.