Author Topic: [REL] Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start Version 4.3  (Read 12398 times)

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
[REL] Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start Version 4.3
« on: August 19, 2009, 05:46:45 PM »
   This mod will allow you to begin an American Career before the Pearl Harbor attack in the stock game, Real Fleet Boat, Trigger Maru - Overhauled, Run Silent, Run Deep, the Campaign, the MidwayCareer mod, the Subsim.com Narwhal mod, or a combination of MidwayCareer and the Narwhal mod. The reason for creating this is because the game includes radio messages and radio station programing from December 7th, 8th, and so on, and users of my radio mods know I've included programing from those dates and before as well. But the Career menu in the stock game won't let you see or hear these as it starts no earlier than December 8th, you don't get into your office until the 9th, and your first patrol starts a day later. So I've created this mod to address that problem.

This update:

- Changes the American neutrality dates so the Japanese will now act as though the war has already begun, so now you have to be careful around them. You can now also send contact reports, and be ordered to ignore or attempt to shadow the contact.

- Changes the start dates for the Japanese airbases on Formosa and mainland China, so they won't begin operating before December 7th, 1941, and thus won't attack Manila based boats before then.

- Edited the 7 pre-war Asiatic Fleet missions to include orders to report Japanese movements, and removed that specific order from the old 7th mission.

- Tweaked the location and heading of the pre-attack battleships in Pearl to be more inline with the location of the wrecks later.

- Edited and added the files necessary to fix the sub upgrade bug in TMO 2.5 in the TMO standalone version. This means you will lose the “Terrible T” campaign, but it was the ONLY way to get it to work properly in 2.5.

The mod is set to start on November 30th, 1941. This will place you in your office on December 1st, and your first patrol will start the next day. The original career start dates are included. I've only added an extra one at the top of the CareerStart.upc, and renumbered the following ones. So if you choose, you can still select the original start dates, and see the movies associated with them.

This mod includes a new set of missions for before the war. This will prevent you being ordered to sink enemy shipping, do photo recons, etc., before the war actually begins. All the calls for the wartime missions have had their start dates modified so they won't appear until December 7th. This means you won't get them until the second patrol of your career, or you select the next start date instead of November 30th. There are seven Asiatic Fleet missions, and eight Pearl Harbor based missions (these are also used by the MidwayCareer mod). See the included prePH missions.txt for details on these missions, some of which have been updated.

It also includes in all the missions Admiral Stark's "Execute unrestricted warfare" order, and for the RSRDC users, those missions also include the "Air raid on Pearl Harbor" message they removed from their versions of the messages.txt file. Rather than add them to a new messages.txt I thought they were both important enough to display on screen rather than a notice in the Messages Log, which would then require you to open the Messages clipboard to read them. Note for users of Webster's Reduced Radio Traffic for v1.4 & v1.5 mod: This mod already has the Admiral Stark order in it. To avoid getting duplicate messages, before enabling, open the messages.txt in that mod and delete that line in it.

For those who like to start at the dock when based at Pearl Harbor, I've included a Pre-warPH_LOC.mis file which removes the wrecks of the battleships hit in the Pearl Harbor attack and replaces them with pre-attack versions as well as the other BBs present at the time. Only the battleships have been added by me. All others ships are from the original Campaign_LOC.mis file, which this is an edited version of. While Battleship Row now displays properly when you sail out of Pearl Harbor, it does not when you return. Because the air attack is not modeled in the game, no ships are hit or sunk when you return after the 7th. For this reason I suggest that for realism and historical accuracy, you use the "End patrol" feature outside rather than sailing into the harbor. The wrecks will return on your second patrol. You should be aware that adding the extra ships does slightly increase the lag using Pearl Harbor always has.

There's also a background image for the November 30th, 1941 date. This way you don't see the USS Arizona all blown up before it happens.

Install using the JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler. You will have eight install options:

Stock and RFB Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start - Install this version if you're using the stock game, or any version of the standalone Real Fleet Boat.

TMO Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start - Install this version if you're using Trigger Maru – Overhauled 2.2 or 2.5.

RSRDC_SH15_Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start - Install this version if you're using the stock game and Run Silent, Run Deep, the Campaign.

RSRDC_RFB_Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start - Install this version if you're using Real Fleet Boat and Run Silent, Run Deep, the Campaign.

RSRDC_TMO_Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start - Install this version if you're using Trigger Maru - Overhauled and Run Silent, Run Deep, the Campaign.

MidwayCareer Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start - Install this version if you're using peabody's MidwayCareer campaign start mod.

New Narwhal K v 1.8 Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start - Install this version if you're using Subsim.com's Narwhal submarine mod.

Midway & Narwhal Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start - Install this version if you want to use the MidwayCareer and Narwhal mod together. Note that with this option you do NOT have to install the MidwayCareer mod itself first. Both files used by it have been modified here so they can include the Narwhal. You will need to install the Narwhal mod.

Install your chosen version AFTER installing the required mod(s) first.

If you don't want to use JSGME, extract to a temp area, then copy/move the Data folder of the appropriate version to your SH4 install. Click "Yes" when it asks if you want to overwrite. You may wish to make a backup copy of the original files before using this method, in case you want/need to restore them later.

This mod only affects the American Career when using the SH4 U-Boat Add-on.

Special thanks to Ducimus for letting me alter the TMO files, lurker_hlb3 for permission to do the RSRDC versions, to the RFB modders for using the stock game file so I didn't even have to ask them, and extra, extra special thanks to peabody, not only for his MidwayCareer mod and the permission to edit it entirely, but for his invaluable assistance in helping me figure out how to create and edit the files to use the pre-war missions.

download1
Pre_Pearl_Harbor_Career_Start_V4.3.rar

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:18:44 PM by fred8615 »
Frederick J. Barnett
"Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!! Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
Re: [REL] Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start Version 2.1
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 11:19:29 PM »
I've uploaded an updated version. See the first post in this thread for details.
Frederick J. Barnett
"Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!! Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
Re: [REL] Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start Version 3
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 06:34:51 PM »
I've uploaded a hugely modified update. See the first post for details.
Frederick J. Barnett

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
Re: [REL] Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start Version 3
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 03:14:31 PM »
In the immortal words of Professor Farnsworth:

"Good news everybody!"

lurker_hlb3 has given me permission to create an RSRDC version!! Stock version is already done, so all I need to do now is the RFB and the TMO versions.

I'm going to pull the 3.0 version now. Since it's just some copy and paste now I should have the 3.1 uploaded sometime today.

A big thank you to lurker_hlb3 for letting me do this now.
Frederick J. Barnett

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
Re: [REL] Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start Version 3.1
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 06:03:09 PM »
3.1 uploaded!!
Frederick J. Barnett

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
Re: [REL] Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start Version 3.1
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:28:55 PM »
I've upload a patch for my Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start Mod. See the first post for details.
Frederick J. Barnett

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
Re: [REL] Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start Version 4
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 08:04:11 PM »
I've updated the mod. See the first post for details.
Frederick J. Barnett

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
Re: [REL] Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start Version 4.1
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 09:34:15 PM »
I found a couple of minor goofs, one of which ended up being a tweak I decided to do to all the missions. So, here's 4.1.  blushing
Frederick J. Barnett

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
Re: [REL] Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start Version 4.2
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 10:06:37 PM »
I've uploaded an updated version. See the first post in this thread for details.
Frederick J. Barnett

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
Re: [REL] Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start Version 4.3
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 05:24:32 PM »
Had to update to 4.3 because I forgot to include the new Pre War Asiatic Patrols in the RSRDC - RFB and RSRDC - TMO versions. Sorry.
Frederick J. Barnett