Author Topic: Longest shore leave ever  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Wie ist es eigentlich so unter'm Wasser? Dunkel
    • Silent Hunter Mods Forum
Longest shore leave ever
« on: July 09, 2011, 04:40:57 PM »
Well, I just booted up SH3 to play it a bit. Haven't played it since February 4th 2010 according to the save log.

So I sunk a small 4-ship convoy at Rockall Banks or whatever the name is, NE of Ireland. Then proceeded close to the northern approaches. There I waited and then a larger convoy showed up.
I made a surface attack, since it was raining and dark. I attacked 3 or 4 ships before I was forced to dive. I could continue the attack from periscope depth and finish off the two ships, which were crippled and attack another ship, so I had just sunk 5 ships, when I decided I would sneak away to maybe attack with my remaining 3 torpedos later. Well, I didn't exactly sneak away since I didn't use slow speed and I left the torpedo men reload, so two destroyers obviously found me. Due to my stupidity of using high compression speed. So result was a damaged boat, which I had to repair. Still no problem, but then I did the mistake to start moving around men. Stupid, stupid mistake. It lead to CTD.

Now I remember why I haven't played for a long time. No patience for games evolving CTD. It's fucking annoying!!!  banghead

I did save the game before meeting the convoy, so I can play it again, but still it's annoying. I know I would have survived this destroyer attack. Plenty of room to dive even further...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 04:42:38 PM by Carotio »

Taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle français, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo español
Before you write me a pm, ask yourself, if it ain't better to write it in the forum. It usually is.

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
Re: Longest shore leave ever
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 05:59:28 PM »
I play using the 4GB patch no matter what version of SH3
I am using at the time.
It seems to reduce to zero the amount of crashes I now have
even if the GWX team say all is ok with only 2gb of ram (yeah right)

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 06:52:58 PM »
Second attempt:
game over - destroyer rammed me. I was too cocky again. Again it's my impatience playing here.....  banghead

Anyway, this 4gb patch - reading the readme, it will patch the sh3.exe, but is there a point to it, if you only have 2gb ram in the computer?
I mean, I still run win XP with 2gb ram on my desktop.

Taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle français, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo español
Before you write me a pm, ask yourself, if it ain't better to write it in the forum. It usually is.

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 07:23:38 PM »
some say the 4gb patch helps if you have 2gb of ram
but I dont think so 2gb should be ok for running the stock game with no mods
but in truth even though the game was written for that type of set-up CTD where all to regular
so 2gb must be considered the bare minimum to run the game I think

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 05:01:27 AM »
3rd time is apparently the charm of luck, or whatever you say in English...

I got what I wanted in the convoy. I even had 3 torpedos left, so I left the convoy, going in towards land and up the narrow strait at the Scottish north-east coast. I usually find merchants there. And this time was no exception.
So I came back with a tonnage count of 109,343 tons. Not bad at all.
But of course, with my impatience, I got rammed by the "sluises" at Wilhelmshaven... haha  sm08

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 10:51:41 AM »
But of course, with my impatience, I got rammed by the "sluises" at Wilhelmshaven... haha  sm08

Welcome to the "Sluise at Wilhelmshaven Club"   rofl2006

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 02:08:37 PM »
Well, I had time compression on, and when I left it, and had a look, the 1st sluise was open, the lamp was green, so I started the engine to go through, but as I was closing in, they started to close, so I hit the full speed back, but too late. I hit the right sluise and suffered 4 % hull damage. Next time I waited...
Anyway, I was at WH, so I guess I could just hit END, but I want to go almost to the pens in the games. Always had.

Offline u2222

• Matrosenhauptgefreiter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 10:17:55 AM »
I remember a Manchester Liners ship damaging the lock gates on the Manchester Ship Canal.
While entering a lock  mat1 the variable pitch propellor hydraulics failed banghead.
By default the propellor pitch assumed ahead (get me home) mode  2thup ......and drove the vessel into the closed gate at the end of the lock  thbsdwn
Quite a bit of damage and the lock out of use until repaired  cry3