Author Topic: My Mexico trip - photo heavy  (Read 9606 times)

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
Re: My Mexico trip
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 03:17:17 PM »
These pictures are really good it will take days to go through them
as I dont want to miss anything  clap1

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Wie ist es eigentlich so unter'm Wasser? Dunkel
    • Silent Hunter Mods Forum
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 08:01:56 PM »
So the next batch of photos is from the same day as the visit to Monte Albán, July 17th that is. We continued to visit a workshop for figures made of wood, and then they paint them in many colors. I even bought one, the last one of the kolibri and got it home safe in one piece.

Then we visited an abandoned monestary. It was in service from sometime in the late 16th century to sometime in early or mid 19th century. I don't remember exactly when. However if you look at how it's constructed you can see entrances in both sides. That was made so that the two rivalling indigenous groups, Zapotec and I think it was Zoltec or Miztec, could arrive from each side. They hated eachother, and they are still not best friends today, as far as I understood.

Then we went to a typical regional buffet restaurant. This was a nice place and we were lucky that we didn't get rain while we were there. It started to rain soon after we left.

Then we went to look at a pottery workshop where they produce black pottery. We watched while one of them produced some pottery for us. Notice they still do it by hand and use no mashinery. I bought two small ducks and a round piece used with small candles, but sadly that candle thing broke on the way back home, so I had to throw it out, since it broke in too many pieces. Too bad. The oven outside is however no longer in use.

Next day, July 18th, we went on a new tour, going to Tule to see two very old trees. One of them is around or more than 2000 years old and the other is only around 1000 years old.

Then we went to see another workshop where they produce clothes and floor carpets from sheep wool and the colors from natural sources such as insects, plants, grains etc.

In the entire world there is only three places like this place: two in Mexico and one in Turkey. A "frozen" waterfall. It's water with a lot of lime, and you can see it everywhere here. The sources even ends up in some swimmingpools so that guests can have a swim there. We didn't bring our swim clothes and even we had, we didn't have enough time to stay. The road to go there is a very bad mountain road, and since we had more places to visit we could only stay for a short time.

The trip went on from this waterfall to Mitla, another ruin city in Oaxaca, but that will be in the next post...

Taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle français, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo español
Before you write me a pm, ask yourself, if it ain't better to write it in the forum. It usually is.

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 09:53:56 PM »
What a scenic area these are amazing pictures    clap1

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 07:01:30 PM »
Since so very few of you comment my photos, I'm not going to spend much time explaining a lot of photos, so now I will just post a very short description before I post the photos.

First the ruin city of Mitla.
Second, a mezcal "factory", mezcal is similar to tequila, but doesn't taste the same.
Third, Oaxaca's Guelaguetza, both a night and day show
http://www.oaxacainfo.com/guelaguetza-oaxaca.htm

Taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle français, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo español
Before you write me a pm, ask yourself, if it ain't better to write it in the forum. It usually is.

Offline Minnie Mouse

• Oberbootmannsmaat
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 09:49:40 PM »
From the pictures that you have generously shared with us I would like to say

THANKYOU!!!!!

They are really amazing and they do not need words, as everyone knows a picture says a thousand words. You had an amazing adventure, the pictures are very detailed and the colours are brilliant.

;D

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
Re: My Mexico trip - photo heavy
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 11:51:31 PM »
Next chapter, and lots and lots of more photos to watch...
After we had seen the day show in Oaxaca, we went to San Christobal de las Casas in the Chiapas region in the south-eastern corner of Mexico, quite close to Guatemala.
First day there, at the arrival day, it was raining all day long. We walked around in the town with an Italian-Norwegian couple up to a church on a hill.
Next day we went to see the canyon Sumidero. That was a very impressive sight as you can see, and I even only let you watch a selection of my photos. However, we also saw a sad part: lots of plastic garbage in the river. When we got back, we walked a bit around in the town.
The next day, we went to see the Maya museum. It was interesting, but not that impressive. After we got out, we walked back into the center, where we saw yet another church. And we also saw some local indigenous artists perform a show in front of the cathedral, which even made the children, who usually try to sell their stuff to the turists stop and watch it too.

Enjoy and feel free to comment.   :wink2:

Offline Minnie Mouse

• Oberbootmannsmaat
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 12:57:11 AM »
I like the pics.
Mother nature certainly gave you some nice shots to take.
If only some people took a little bit of care then there would not be all the rubbish.
Nice and colourful. and its nice to see the kids taking an interst and taking part.
 j12

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 08:24:08 PM »
From San Christobal de las Casas, we drove towards Palenque, from where we would catch a night bus towards Mérida on the Yucatán peninsula.
But first, we went with the tour bus to two waterfalls: Agua Azul, which usually is blue, but because of heavy rain was more brown-green, and Agua Clara.
All of this is still in the Chiapas region, but the northern part.
And the ruin city of Palenque too. That city is btw a Maya city, and it's situated in a rain forest area, so it's very very hot and very very humid air you find there. I think you can tell from a photo of me...
Because we went to see the two waterfalls first, we arrived rather late to Palenque, and well, they close off the lower part of the city at 16.30, so the last 30 minutes the city is opened, we couldn't go there and see some of it. So I just zoomed in to make a few photos, but it's not the same. I just tell you in case any of you will ever go there. If you are in the area, this place is a must see area.

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 02:17:12 PM »
It seems I have a bandwith problem with Photobucket....
I'll try to reupload the photos to the SHMF server instead before I continue.
Sorry.  blushing

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 02:24:34 PM »
Whoops  wow1

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 12:54:19 AM »
I never got around to finish this thread. And I'm not particular interested to do it now.
So those of you interested in looking at my photos, they are now online on my own website.

These two links will take you directly to my Mexico photos - divided in two parts: nature and urban
Nature & landscape
and
Urban & culture
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:04:10 AM by Carotio »