Author Topic: Message from my host - regarding possible forum offtime  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Wie ist es eigentlich so unter'm Wasser? Dunkel
    • Silent Hunter Mods Forum
Message from my host - regarding possible forum offtime
« on: June 25, 2010, 09:17:03 PM »
Message 1
We would like to inform you that all MySQL databases version 4 will be automatically upgraded to MySQL version 5. The transition is required so we can ensure more stable and modern database service for your hosting accounts. The planned migration for all paid customers on cp9 server will be performed on July 01 (Thursday), 2010. The MySQL database upgrade will start at 03:00 EDT (UTC -4) and there will be short downtime due to the whole technical procedure. Once your databases are converted to the newer version they will resume normal operations.

You can monitor the status of the MySQL database migration by the system notifications in your Hosting Control Panel at any time. Updates we will be posted there for all customers.

Message 2
We have planned to perform a hardware maintenance on the current MySQL5 database server (hostname: pdb2.awardspace.com), since we need to add more RAM for additional resources. The server will be halted on June 28 (Monday), 2010 around 03:00 EDT (GMT -4) for approximately 10 minutes to extend the memory.

Thank you for your understanding!

I will make a backup of the database on June 28th of course, and then we'll see what happens during the next couple of days. However, I'll be out of town for some days, so my internet access for the next couple of weeks is going to be "handicapped", so in case everything goes  buba during my absence, I'll have to deal with it asap or when I return back home... I hope it won't be like the current state of the ubi forums...  sm09

Taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle français, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo español
Before you write me a pm, ask yourself, if it ain't better to write it in the forum. It usually is.

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
Re: Message from my host - regarding possible forum offtime
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 01:14:05 AM »
Another message from the host:

We would like to inform you about a planned maintenance on the cp13, cp9 servers, which will be performed on November 4-th (Thursday), 2010 at 02:00 EST (07:00 UTC/GMT). The service interruption will be a short one, approximately 15 minutes per server and is needed for replacing network components. Please note that all services, such as websites, e-mails, FTP, etc. will not be available while we replace the hardware. Our team will do its best to finish the maintenance as quickly as possible.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation and please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience this might have caused you.

Taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle français, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo español
Before you write me a pm, ask yourself, if it ain't better to write it in the forum. It usually is.

Offline jcrosby

• Matrose
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 12:44:47 PM »
I have a question regarding server downtime. At the moment I am also looking for web hosting provider and I am wonder how much server downtime is acceptable? Is there a rule of thumb estimate?

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 03:37:49 PM »
You cannot find any web host, who NEVER has any server downtime. I think it's impossible. They do some service checkups from time to time, all of them. And well, if it's only a couple of times per year it happens, then fine with it...