Author Topic: Mod Selection...  (Read 5914 times)

Offline c13garrison

• Matrose
Mod Selection...
« on: July 26, 2012, 09:58:05 PM »
I'm afraid I have a very similar question to Mr Fritz, though for SH4 and with the classic American slant on things.  There is such a huge variety of Mod work on this site, I'm rather uncertain as to what to install and in what order.  What I'd like to accomplish is;

As accurate with equipment and visuals as possible.
I'd like to command Narwhal or her sister.
I'm very interested in the Mod that promises to make more accurate representations of the major battles.

So, to be repetitive, what Mods should I go for?  I have the Gold edition of SH4 (Wolves of the Pacific), though if I ever Captain a U-Boat it will be in the Atlantic, and I don't happen to own one of those games yet.

I also have a general question-  I have a suspicion that SH4 doesn't "track" major warships.  I.E., if over the course of 2 years I sink 4 Kongo class BBs, I expect I'll still be able to find a TF with a pair of Kongos in it yet later on.  Is this true?

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
Re: Mod Selection...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 01:07:35 PM »
Carotio is well into this version of SH4 but at this time he is on shore leave although he is due back soon and then may offer some advice  thup1

Offline c13garrison

• Matrose
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 06:31:39 PM »
Thanks for the note SeaWolf, I'll wait patiently.  :)

For the longest time whenever I would start a new game I'd buy a notebook and intend to keep a detailed log and journal of all my missions in the language of the time, but I never made it more than 10 missions without some bizarre glitch happening that would dash my enthusiasm.  Is there a place on this forum devoted to Captain's logs?  I see a few of them in a "tell us about your current game" thread, but it doesn't seem dedicated to "in character" postings, so-to-speak.

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 06:44:46 PM »
You know what they say if you cant find something then start it ...... whats the worst that can happen  buba

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Wie ist es eigentlich so unter'm Wasser? Dunkel
    • Silent Hunter Mods Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 06:07:53 PM »
I'm afraid I have a very similar question to Mr Fritz, though for SH4 and with the classic American slant on things.  There is such a huge variety of Mod work on this site, I'm rather uncertain as to what to install and in what order.  What I'd like to accomplish is;

As accurate with equipment and visuals as possible.
I'd like to command Narwhal or her sister.
I'm very interested in the Mod that promises to make more accurate representations of the major battles.

So, to be repetitive, what Mods should I go for?  I have the Gold edition of SH4 (Wolves of the Pacific), though if I ever Captain a U-Boat it will be in the Atlantic, and I don't happen to own one of those games yet.

I also have a general question-  I have a suspicion that SH4 doesn't "track" major warships.  I.E., if over the course of 2 years I sink 4 Kongo class BBs, I expect I'll still be able to find a TF with a pair of Kongos in it yet later on.  Is this true?

You could start with TMO. It doesn't include the Narwhal mod, which was released a year ago or more. And I must admit I don't know right now, how to get it and how to install it. TMO does however include a "Narwhal". It's however a modified sub to kind of act like a Narwhal, but really isn't. Still, TMO is your mod.
You may add RSRDC on top of it. It will add better traffic, including more accurate historical traffic. Please notice however that the latest version of RSRDC was made for a previous version of TMO, and thus there may be some strange happenings using both mods.
Anyway, both of these two mods are made for 1.5 of SH4, so regarding that you're safe.
Right. With SH4 you can sink a battleship several times during the war. There's not much to do about it...

Taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle français, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo español
Before you write me a pm, ask yourself, if it ain't better to write it in the forum. It usually is.

Offline c13garrison

• Matrose
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 09:33:42 AM »
Thank you for the reply!  I was offline with computer issues for a while, but can now embark upon this project.  I'll be starting that "in-character" forum topic I think, once I'm sure everything works well I can't wait to get writing.

Offline c13garrison

• Matrose
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 06:13:03 AM »
Greetings all.  Now finally attempting the DLs, in case anyone had spared a mote of thought for what happened to me.  Just now getting back into hobbies following my father's passing.  I'll advise soon of whether I got it working.

Offline c13garrison

• Matrose
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 04:13:16 PM »
Clicking the JSGME link provided on the boards downloads a small 390k ".7z" file which is non-executable.  Has the procedure to install JSGME & TMO become more complex?