4 (36.4%)
Use a mix of art and photos
4 (36.4%)
Use just art and just photos
2 (18.2%)
Don't even bother
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: [POLL] Sub Pinups and Pics  (Read 6413 times)

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
[POLL] Sub Pinups and Pics
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:57:04 PM »
I'm currently working on changing the art pinups and the two soldier photos inside the subs in SH4. I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting tired of looking at the same thing all the time, especially because making matters worse is that all the subs except the S class use the same three interior files (the S boats have their own file, but no pinup or pics are visible inside).

I'm modifying my randomizer program so you can have a set chosen for a specific sub type before playing. But there's one catch. Which files that are used depends on if you're using high resolution or not. The high res files are twice the dimensions of the low res ones. My program is a converted .bat file, and there's no way to resize the high res images down to the proper size in it without using a third party program. So if anyone is using low res for whatever reason, I'd either have to include both versions in any sets I create, or they would have to do without.

So the first question is, do I need to include low and high res versions, or can I just concentrate on the high res?

The second question is not as important, but I do want to know what ya'll prefer. On the subs, they use one art pinup, viewable in various locations depending on the sub, and the two soldier photos, which are only visible in the control room (on boats using the Porpoise interior, only one photo is used. In the Salmon interior, both are used, but one is partially obstructed).

I intend to use both types from my Captain's Desk Photos mods as well as a possible new set, but the question is, should I keep the original setup of one art image and two photos (which I personally prefer, if it makes any difference), or go with just art and just photos?

I'm going to leave this poll open ended. I'm also going to post this poll on the UBISoft forum and on Subsim.com, so if you're also a member on one or both of those, please only vote once.

Feel free to discuss, suggest, or ask questions if you want.
Frederick J. Barnett
"Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!! Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
Re: [POLL] Sub Pinups and Pics
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 11:13:35 PM »
I like all your previous work  thup1

Offline u2222

• Matrosenhauptgefreiter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 10:33:41 AM »
For my 10 cents worth.

Keep the original setup of one art image and two photos  2thup

There is such a viriety of photos that one is really spoilt for choice...thanks fred8615  j12

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Wie ist es eigentlich so unter'm Wasser? Dunkel
    • Silent Hunter Mods Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 12:56:38 PM »
I think it's a minority who uses the low-res today. So probably not worth it. Otherwise just make a tutorial how to reduce the size and then let people do it themselves.
Regarding the art and/or photos.... well, I don't really care. I think it's good with both, so that's what I voted...  sm08

Taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle français, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo español
Before you write me a pm, ask yourself, if it ain't better to write it in the forum. It usually is.

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 04:55:20 PM »
I think it's a minority who uses the low-res today. So probably not worth it. Otherwise just make a tutorial how to reduce the size and then let people do it themselves.
The only problem with that is there aren't a lot of prograns that can handle the DDS format. There's also the fact that for low res, you have to save two files for some reason. Still, if the vote goes high res only, I probably would do something like that, even though it would be a PITA.  compsmash
Frederick J. Barnett
"Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!! Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Wie ist es eigentlich so unter'm Wasser? Dunkel
    • Silent Hunter Mods Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 08:44:08 PM »

The only problem with that is there aren't a lot of prograns that can handle the DDS format. There's also the fact that for low res, you have to save two files for some reason. Still, if the vote goes high res only, I probably would do something like that, even though it would be a PITA.  compsmash

Well, in a sticky thread:
http://www.silenthuntermods.com/forum/index.php?topic=55.0
I have posted some info as to how to edit DDS files. It should be possible for those unable to run high-res to reduce the files themselves and thus rework the mod themselves.

Taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle français, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo español
Before you write me a pm, ask yourself, if it ain't better to write it in the forum. It usually is.

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 08:05:23 PM »
Okay, it's been three weeks since I posted this poll, and I figure that's long enough. So I'm officially declaring the poll closed.

Here's the vote total from all three sites where I posted the poll:

Use both high and low resolution files   4

Use only high resolution files           20

Use a mix of art and photos                 15

Use just art and just photos                 6

Don't even bother                               1

So as you can see, the sets will be high res versions only, and using both art and photos.

One thing I have decided on my own is to randomly use the art and photos, instead of basing a set on one specific artist and or actress like my CDP sets. Partly this is because in some cases there aren't enough photos to go with some of the art sets, so I'd have to mix those up some anyway. But mostly it's because I need to limit the set file size to the maximum direct upload size for Subsim as my FTP account is nearly full. I just prefer not to have to break larger sets into parts in order to do this, and besides, the files are going to be used randomly in the game anyway.

I'll start work on the first set some time next week. When it's finished, I'll upload it and the new randomizer program then. So stay tuned!
Frederick J. Barnett