Author Topic: Friend to Carl Emmermann  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Wie ist es eigentlich so unter'm Wasser? Dunkel
    • Silent Hunter Mods Forum
Friend to Carl Emmermann
« on: December 25, 2011, 11:45:03 AM »
Last evening for Christmas eve, we had an old lady visit us. Her son did not have time or desire to invite his mum to his home for Christmas eve, so my mum invited her to stay with us.

While there, I found out that she came in the home of Carl Emmermann in 1950 and forwards.
http://uboat.net/men/emmermann.htm

Carl Emmermann is dead by now, but his wife is still alive and she does meet up with the old lady of yesterday evening from time to time since then.

She told us that once a former victim of CE came to his house for a social visit. A captain of an enemy vessel, so we had to use uboat.net to find him.
The captain was Henry R. Stephenson commanding Santa Rita:
http://uboat.net/allies/merchants/ships/1914.html
Reading that page, you could see that Stephenson was taken onboard as prisoner of war and brought to Lorient. I guess they must have found sympathy for eachother, since they have met up some years after the end of the war.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 11:52:18 AM by Carotio »

Taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle français, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo español
Before you write me a pm, ask yourself, if it ain't better to write it in the forum. It usually is.

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
Re: Friend to Carl Emmermann
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 03:00:15 PM »
So much history to be told over the dinner table  yes1

Offline ijnfleetadmiral

• Oberleutnant zur See
  • "I just don't give a f**k!" - Eminem
Re: Friend to Carl Emmermann
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 12:37:12 AM »
Fascinating story...thanks for sharing!

-Matt
"Our orders are simple: go out, find the enemy, sink him, escape to kill again, and return home safely. It does not matter how the enemy travels, in convoy, in pairs, or alone...I will find him and sink him wherever he is. This is the task assigned to me as a U-boat commander." - KL Kurt Hossel (my SH3 persona)