Author Topic: MultiSH4  (Read 10558 times)

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Wie ist es eigentlich so unter'm Wasser? Dunkel
    • Silent Hunter Mods Forum
MultiSH4
« on: May 20, 2009, 07:11:22 PM »
This is THE program to use if you want to have more than one installation of SH4 running at the same time without uninstalling.
Say you want both TMO and RFB, then have two folders like
C:\games\SH4_TMO
C:\games\SH4_RFB

In each folder, you then put MultiSH4.exe and run it, and then you can choose a folder name up to three characters.

download1

For clarity sake, this is an initiative by TheRealPotoroo and here's his original readme, which also is included in the zip file.

About MultiSH4 1.5
MultiSH4 is a utility that will change the folder name in My Documents that Silent Hunter 4 uses to save campaign and career information. It does this by patching a file in the game's root folder called FileManager.dll.  Stock SH4 is hard-coded to save this information in a folder called My Documents\SH4, but it may be desirable to be able to separate careers by saving them in different folders.  For example, you might want to have a stock SH4  installation for online play, a customised single player installation and perhaps even a mod development installation, each with their own career information.  The obvious benefit of this is that it prevents any possible confusion over which campaigns and careers belong to which installation.

SH4 Compatibility
MultiSH4 1.5 has been tested with SH4 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5 (U-Boat Missions expansion pack).  If it detects a version of Filemanager.dll it does not recognise you will receive the error message:

Unknown version of Filemanager.dll.
MultiSH4 will now exit.

Using MultiSH4
MultiSH4 can be used in one of two ways:

A single installation of SH4, modded as required, with multiple independent campaigns and careers; or
Multiple installations of SH4 (hence the name MultiSH4), each with independent campaigns and careers.
1. Using MultiSH4 (single installation of SH4)
Install SH4, patch it and install mods as required.  Copy MultiSH4 into the game's root folder (default: \Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific).  Run MultiSH4 to change the save folder name.  This folder name can be 1 to 3 characters long.  The next time you run SH4 it will use the new save folder name.  If the folder does not exist then SH4 will create it.  Swapping between save folders in this environment requires running MultiSH4 each time you want to change campaigns/careers.

Be sure to make a backup copy of FileManager.dll before running MultiSH4 in this environment.

2. Using MultiSH4 (multiple installations of SH4)
It is recommended you begin with a clean installation of SH4 including the latest patches (1.4 for stock SH4; the U-Boat Missions expansion pack is optional).  If you wish to use the JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler, install it in the stock game folder, run it and generate a snapshot of the game files before proceeding.  Do not install any mods at this stage.

Create a new installation of SH4 by copying the whole folder and everything underneath it to a new location.  For example, you might copy the contents of Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific to Ubisoft\SH4 Custom or where ever it is you wish to put the copy.  This requires approximately 4.63GB of free disk space.  Do not try to reuse the SH4 installer.  Use Windows Explorer or My Computer to copy the folder and paste it somewhere else.  Rename the Copy of Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific folder to whatever name you want for it (eg, \SH4 Custom, \SH4 development, etc).

Copy MultiSH4.exe to this new SH4 folder (Ubisoft\SH4 Custom in this example).  You do not need to put it into the original game folder, only into the copy.

Run MultiSH4 from this new folder and change the save folder name to something other than the default "SH4".  This folder name can be 1 to 3 characters long (for example, you might use "Cus" for \SH4 Custom).  The next time you run SH4 it will use the new save folder name.  If the folder does not exist then SH4 will create it.

It may be helpful to also create a new shortcut, pointing to the new SH4.exe location (ie, Ubisoft\SH4 Custom\SH4.exe).

Install mods into the new folder, leaving the stock installation unmodified.
In this example you end up with two game folders:

Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific (default, stock 1.4)
Ubisoft\SH4 Custom (modified)

Two save folders:

My Documents\SH4 (default)
My Documents\Cus (new)

And two shortcuts:

Shortcut pointing to "Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\SH4.exe"
Shortcut pointing to "Ubisoft\SH4 Custom\SH4.exe"

Repeat the above for as many installations as you want, always copying from the stock 1.4 folder.

In the event of a problem with FileManager.dll replace the corrupted copy with the original from the stock 1.4 installation and try again.

Vista
When trying to save your new SH4 save folder name you may get the error message: ""filemanager.dll could not be written".  In this case try one of these two approaches:

right-click MultiSH4.exe in Windows Explorer or My Computer
select "Run as Administrator"
run MultiSH4
or

right-click MultiSH4.exe in Windows Explorer or My Computer
select "Properties" > Compatibility tab
check "Run this program in compatibility mode"
in the box below select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"
run MultiSH4
MultiSH4 and other mods
MultiSH4 should not affect mods that do not access the campaign and career files, although you may need to install them once in each installation according to need.

Legal
MultiSH4 is freeware.  It may be distributed freely as long as it is not separated from this readme file.  It may not be distributed or sold for profit, nor included in any for profit package or distribution without prior written approval.

Copyright © 2007-2008 Potoroo, TheRealPotoroo

Last updated: 02/03/2008
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 04:38:55 PM by Carotio »

Taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle français, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo español
Before you write me a pm, ask yourself, if it ain't better to write it in the forum. It usually is.