Author Topic: [REL] Sub Class Info  (Read 10520 times)

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
[REL] Sub Class Info
« on: July 05, 2011, 06:27:15 PM »
This mod adds the displacement, dimensions, maximum speed, range, underwater endurance, and test depth for each submarine class in the game, via an edited version of the sub class silhouette used on the Subsytems, Crew Management, etc. screens. Below is an example of the Balao class:

It includes files for the Tench and pseudo-Narwhal subs added by the Real Fleet Boat, Run Silent, Run Deep the Campaign, and Trigger Maru-Overhauled 2.1 and 2.2 mods. There's also a version for the Subsim.com Narwhal mod.

Besides editing the images, I also copied and renamed those images used by more than one class, so the proper info could be displayed. I then edited the UnitParts[number][class].upc file in the Data\UPCData\UPCUnitsData folder to call the new images. This way the Sargo and the subs added by the super mods will have the proper info, though perhaps not (especially in the case of the pseudo-Narwhals) the proper silhouette.

Install using JSGME. You will have seven options to extract/install:

Sub Class Info - Narwhal Mod - Install AFTER the Narwhal mod.

Sub Class Info - RFB - Use this version with the Real Fleet Boat mod

Sub Class Info - RSRDC - Use this version for the standalone RSRDC mod.

Sub Class Info - RSRDC - RFB - Use this version for RFB with the RSRDC mod. Install AFTER the RFB version above (this one only changes the pseudo-Narwhal UnitParts file, which is the only file the RSRDC for RFB affects).

Sub Class Info - S-42 Class - Install AFTER any other version. (See the readme.pdf for why this is separate.)

Sub Class Info - Stock - Use this version for the stock 1.5 game.

Sub Class Info - TMO - Use this version for TMO 2.1 or 2.2, with or without the TMO version of RSRDC installed.

SPECIAL NOTE: If you're using a screen resolution of less than 960 height, on some screens where the sub silhouette is used the message box may write over the text in the image. Because they're the same color, this will make the message box hard to read if you have its background set to be transparent. If you have both settings, you'll need to either move the message box, or just not use this mod.

Be sure to read the readme.pdf for more info.

Extra special thanks to Subsim.com member CapnScurvy, who suggested this method after my original attempt didn't work out.

download1
Sub_Class_Info.rar
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 05:49:49 PM by fred8615 »
Frederick J. Barnett
"Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!! Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Wie ist es eigentlich so unter'm Wasser? Dunkel
    • Silent Hunter Mods Forum
Re: [REL] Sub Class Info
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 10:52:58 PM »
Looks like one mod I could be persuaded to use once I find time to play again...  sm08
Thanks  thup1

Taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle français, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo español
Before you write me a pm, ask yourself, if it ain't better to write it in the forum. It usually is.

Offline Able Brown

• Landratte
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:52:06 PM »
I'm new here so bear with me. I downloaded the file into my Windows 7 downloads folder but only got the 9,707 kb rar file. There was no readme with instructions on where and how to install it. Thanks in advance.

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 04:04:44 PM »
I'm new here so bear with me. I downloaded the file into my Windows 7 downloads folder but only got the 9,707 kb rar file. There was no readme with instructions on where and how to install it. Thanks in advance.
I just checked it and the Sub Class Info readme.pdf is in the file. Even if you don't have a PDF reader it should still be there. Try downloading again.
Frederick J. Barnett
"Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!! Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone

Offline Able Brown

• Landratte
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 04:23:15 PM »
I just checked it and the Sub Class Info readme.pdf is in the file. Even if you don't have a PDF reader it should still be there. Try downloading again.

Thanks, Fred8615

So it looks like I need to first find and download an RAR extractor that Windows7 doesen't provide, then extract the file in the downloads folder, and finally read the readme for further instructions. (I'm glad I didn't try this with a supermod). Any recommendations on where to download a RAR extractor?

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 05:35:18 PM »
just type in winrar in your browsers search engine

Offline fred8615

• Modmaker
  • Oberbootmannsmaat
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 10:27:36 PM »
Thanks, Fred8615

So it looks like I need to first find and download an RAR extractor that Windows7 doesen't provide, then extract the file in the downloads folder, and finally read the readme for further instructions. (I'm glad I didn't try this with a supermod). Any recommendations on where to download a RAR extractor?
Winrar is what I use. I think you can still use it for free (EDIT: Just checked. Winrar has a 40 day trial period), but if you pay for it you get free updates for life. It also has a 64 bit version.

You really should get something else instead of relying just on the built-in zip program in Win 7 anyway. Other mods come in other formats than zip, or RAR.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:37:21 PM by fred8615 »
Frederick J. Barnett

Offline Carotio

• Administrator
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Wie ist es eigentlich so unter'm Wasser? Dunkel
    • Silent Hunter Mods Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 11:24:35 PM »
Winrar is what I use. I think you can still use it for free (EDIT: Just checked. Winrar has a 40 day trial period), but if you pay for it you get free updates for life. It also has a 64 bit version.

You really should get something else instead of relying just on the built-in zip program in Win 7 anyway. Other mods come in other formats than zip, or RAR.

I haven't used winrar in a long time. It may work after the 40 days or not, I don't know. Back in the days when I used an earlier version, it would still unpack after the 40 days, and I think you could pack files too.
But the free 7-zip program is better, since it's free, and it will both pack and unpack several different formats, like zip, rar and 7z (7-zips own format).

Taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle français, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo español
Before you write me a pm, ask yourself, if it ain't better to write it in the forum. It usually is.

Offline Phoenix 1957

• SHMF Mod Manager
  • Kapitänleutnant
  • Silent Hunter III
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 12:53:50 PM »
I have been using the 64bit free WinRaR version ever since I change
to a 64bit Machine it don't seem to run out  bow1
The 7zip version I have will sometimes fail to unpack RaR files properly  scrtg

Offline Able Brown

• Landratte
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 09:13:16 PM »
WinRar was an easy download and works fine. I'm glad it doesen't expire.